Washington Boulevard bridge over Jefferson Davis Highway
Beginning Monday, April 27, 2015, crews working for VDOT will reduce traffic from three lanes to two in each direction on Washington Boulevard (Route 27) over Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 110) in Arlington. For the duration of the project, the lane reduction will allow crews room to replace and widen the structurally deficient, 74-year-old bridge.
Drivers are advised to expect delays and use alternate routes if possible, particularly northbound during the a.m. rush hour, where drivers could experience a 10-minute delay. Motorists are also asked to be alert to Pentagon and Virginia State Police who will help facilitate traffic movement.
For more information, visit VDOT’s website.
Washington Boulevard bridge over Columbia Pike
Major Traffic Shift
Between 9 p.m. Thursday, May 21, 2015, and 5 a.m. Friday, May 22, 2015, VDOT will be performing a major traffic switch on Columbia Pike (Route 244) at the Washington Boulevard (Route 27) interchange.
The traffic switch includes:
- Opening the realigned ramp from eastbound Washington Boulevard to Columbia Pike. The new ramp aligns with the South Queen Street intersection.
- Permanently activating the new traffic signal at the South Queen Street/ramp/Columbia Pike intersection.
- Permanently removing the existing signal at Columbia Pike and South Quinn Street.
- Permanently changing South Quinn Street to one-way, entrance only from eastbound Columbia Pike. No northbound traffic on South Quinn Street will be permitted between 10th Street South and Columbia Pike. Also, traffic will not be permitted to turn left onto South Quinn Street from westbound Columbia Pike.
Learn more about the U.S. Route 27/244 Interchange Project.
North Lynn Street in Rosslyn
Construction has started on Central Place, with completion expected in 2017. The project is located along the heavily-used North Lynn and North Moore Streets and between Wilson Boulevard and 19th Street North.
Temporary parking closures will be in effect on North Lynn Street throughout the project to allow for an additional travel lane when needed.
- Phase 3 and 6/7: Three travel lanes on North Lynn Street open only.
- Phase 8/9 (Dates To Be Determined): Three travel lanes on North Lynn Street open only. North Moore Street will be limited to two bus lanes.
- Commuters are advised to use alternate routes when traveling through Rosslyn to minimize impact. Alternative routes to the District of Columbia include Lee Highway to North Lynn Street, Arlington Boulevard to I-66, Glebe Road to Chain Bridge Road and George Washington Memorial Parkway.
- Motorists traveling from U.S. Route 110 intending to use North Lynn Street will be detoured via North Kent Street to North 19th Street, and will access North Lynn Street at the North 19th Street intersection.
Crews may perform some of this work during evening hours to minimize the impact to businesses and motorists. Residents can expect some construction noise associated with this work. Businesses located along North Lynn Street remain open during construction.
For ongoing construction updates and traffic impacts, visit The JBG Companies Central Place Construction Updates website.