Street lights are installed to illuminate bikeways, sidewalks and roads. The Transportation Engineering and Operations Bureau is responsible for 18,000 street lights throughout the County. We maintain 7,000 of those street lights, with the remainder serviced by Dominion Virginia Power (DVP).
Street Light Repair
- If the street light is identified as being serviced by DVP, we’ll report to DVP who will then independently investigate and repair the problem per its schedule.
- Minor repair such as bulb, fuse and head replacements typically take two to three weeks for repair if properly reported with address and pole number.
- Major repair such as conductor replacement or underground utility work may take 45 days or longer.
LED Street Lights
Arlington is unveiling the latest state-of-the-art, intelligent, light-emitting diode (LED) street light and signal technology. These LEDs modernize the network, reduce overall costs and minimize the environmental impact. We began converting traffic signals to LED technology in the mid-2000s. In 2010, we began upgrading street lights along both residential streets and major corridors. As of August 2014, approximately 5,842 (85 percent) have been converted to LEDs.
New Street Light Request
There are several reasons that warrant new street light installation:
- Community or safety needs
- Lack of proper lighting
- Improving existing lighting
- Replacing existing pole-mounted lights
You can make a request by calling the street light and traffic signal hotline at 703-228-6511. We’ll need the following information:
- Location for requested light(s)
- Phone numbers (daytime and evening)
- Reason for requesting street light(s)
- Notification of existing street lights in the area