On Jan. 1, 2012, the Arlington County Board approved amendments to the Taxicab Ordinance allowing an increase in the mileage rate from $2 per mile to $2.10 per mile, and restricting the extra passenger charge to those 12 and older.
The rate schedule for fares and service charges is as follows:
- For the first one-sixth mile (initial drop charge): $2.75
- For each succeeding one-sixth mile or fraction thereof: 35 cents
- For each 56 seconds of wait time: 35 cents; wait time begins five minutes after appointed pickup time
- For each additional passenger 12 or older: $1
The operation of taxicab service within Arlington is regulated and controlled by Chapter 25.1 of the County Code. This includes the operation of taxicabs for hire, rates and charges for service, and qualifications of operators.
- The County’s hack inspector, an officer in the Arlington Police Department, is responsible for addressing the licensing of drivers and inspection of taxicabs as well as addressing concerns about taxicab violations.
- The County’s taxicab industry regulator, a member of the Transportation Planning Bureau found under the Department of Environmental Services, is responsible for monitoring and regulating taxicab companies.
How Regulations Protect Passengers
Other taxicabs and vehicles for hire, such as those operating for Uber, Lyft and Sidecar, don’t have these same regulations and may not provide their passengers with the same protections.
- Certainty of Fare: Passengers in Arlington taxicabs can only be charged per the rates established in the Arlington Taxicab Ordinance. All fares are calculated and displayed on the taxicab meter and all taxicab meters are tested for accuracy at least once a year.
- Driver Qualifications: Arlington taxicab drivers must have an exemplary driving record. Prospective and current taxicab drivers all undergo a U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background check and may not have relevant criminal convictions. All Arlington taxi drivers must obtain and display a valid taxicab operator’s license. To obtain a license, a prospective Arlington taxicab driver must pass a test of their knowledge of local geography, driving laws and taxi regulations administered by the Arlington County Police. Taxicab operator licenses can be suspended or revoked for violations of motor vehicle law or a criminal conviction of verified complaints.
- Vehicle Conditions: Arlington taxicabs must pass an annual physical inspection conducted by the Arlington County Police in addition to state vehicle inspections. If an Arlington taxicab is found to be not in proper working order, it will be immediately ordered out of service. Arlington taxicabs can be no more than seven years old and can have no more than 350,000 miles of use.
- Required Insurance: All Arlington taxicabs are required to have a minimum of $300,000 of coverage for personal injury and $50,000 of coverage for personal property loss.
- Identified Companies: All Arlington taxicabs and drivers are affiliated with a company whose identity is prominently displayed on the vehicle. Company affiliation helps passengers to retrieve lost articles, make special arrangements for pick-up and file or address complaints.
Read the Taxicabs Service Assessment Report .