Why We Charge for Parking on Commercial Streets
- Charging for parking is a well-established and effective public management tool where demand exceeds supply.
- Parking charges encourage users to use parking efficiently; with parking spaces turning over more frequently, more users are accommodated.
- Low- or no-cost street parking encourages more vehicle use and generates traffic.
Types of Meters and Parking Payment Devices
- It’s illegal to pay for additional time at the meter after the time limit has been reached. Feeding the meter beyond its original maximum time could result in a parking ticket.
- People with disabilities may park at any parking meter including those that are specially designated meters and with longer allowable times.
We’ve partnered with Parkmobile to bring residents and visitors a mobile payment solution for parking at metered spaces throughout the County.
Pay-by-cell is a mobile application administered by Parkmobile and is available for iPhone, Android, Windows 7 and Blackberry smartphones. The District of Columbia uses the same service, so residents and visitors don’t need to download a separate application to park when traveling between Arlington and the District.
How to Register and Use
Parking is as easy as 1, 2, 3 using Parkmobile:
- Park: Look for the green Parkmobile sign.
- Pay: Use the Parkmobile mobile app, mobile website or call 1-877-727-5730 and enter the zone number listed on the sign. Pay using credit card or PayPal.
- Go: Head to your office, the store, lunch or that job interview. You can even opt-in to receive a text notification 15 minutes before your parking session is set to expire.
Note: License plate numbers must be entered correctly. Include all numbers and letters when registering your vehicle. Parkmobile zone numbers must also be accurately entered when initiating parking sessions. Failure to enter complete and accurate license plate and/or zone numbers may result in the issuance of a parking citation. Arlington County will not void citations issued when a parking session was created using incorrect information.
Multispace Pay Stations
There are two ways to pay for multispace parking: by coin — nickels, dimes, quarters or dollar coins — or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover).
- Insert coins or your credit card into the pay station and indicate the time.
- Push the print button for your receipt.
- Place the receipt face-up on the dashboard of your car.
More than 2,400 single-space parking meters are located throughout the County for widely varying increments of time. They’re easily spotted from your driver’s seat by a color code.
- Yellow – 30 minutes
- Silver – 1 hour
- Blue – 2 hours
- Red – 4 hours
- Green – 10 hours
Flexible Pay Single-Space Parking Meters
This is a new type of single-space parking meter that accepts nickels, dimes, quarters, dollar coins and credit cards.
EasyPark is replacing iPark, an in-vehicle electronic parking meter available to everyone who parks in Arlington.
Here’s how EasyPark works at metered Arlington spaces:
- Park your car at a metered space and turn on your EasyPark.
- Select the type of meter and hang your EasyPark on your front driver’s side window.
- Place your special EasyPark placard (provided) on your dashboard.
- Go on your way!
- Return to your car, turn your EasyPark off and pay only for the time you were parked.
Arlington EasyParks cost $30, which includes $25 for the EasyPark device and $5 for parking time. We add a bonus $5 parking time at no cost to you for a total of $10 parking time. There is $1.50 Virginia sales tax charged for each EasyPark device. Shipping and handling charges apply. You can avoid shipping and handling charges by purchasing your EasyPark at the Arlington County Treasurer’s Office.
Special note for current iPark users: You can still use and reload your iPark for as long as it lasts, or you can turn in your iPark and purchase an EasyPark. If your iPark is still working, we will send you a refund for its remaining balance of paid parking time.