Why We Charge for Parking on Commercial Streets
- Charging for parking is a well-established and effective public management tool where demand exceeds supply.
- Parking charges encourage users to use parking efficiently; with parking spaces turning over more frequently, more users are accommodated.
- Low- or no-cost street parking encourages more vehicle use and generates traffic.
Types of Meters and Parking Payment Devices
- It’s illegal to pay for additional time at the meter after the time limit has been reached. Feeding the meter beyond its original maximum time could result in a parking ticket.
- People with disabilities may park at any parking meter including those that are specially designated meters and with longer allowable times.
We’ve partnered with Parkmobile to bring residents and visitors a mobile payment solution for parking at metered spaces throughout the County.
Pay-by-cell is a mobile application administered by Parkmobile and is available for iPhone, Android, Windows 7 and Blackberry smartphones. The District of Columbia uses the same service, so residents and visitors don’t need to download a separate application to park when traveling between Arlington and the District.
How to Register and Use
Parking is as easy as 1, 2, 3 using Parkmobile:
- Park: Look for the green Parkmobile sign.
- Pay: Use the Parkmobile mobile app, mobile website or call 1-877-727-5730 and enter the zone number listed on the sign. Pay using credit card or PayPal.
- Go: Head to your office, the store, lunch or that job interview. You can even opt-in to receive a text notification 15 minutes before your parking session is set to expire.
Note: License plate numbers must be entered correctly. Include all numbers and letters when registering your vehicle. Parkmobile zone numbers must also be accurately entered when initiating parking sessions. Failure to enter complete and accurate license plate and/or zone numbers may result in the issuance of a parking citation.
Multispace Pay Stations
There are two ways to pay for multispace parking: by coin — nickels, dimes, quarters or dollar coins — or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover).
- Insert coins or your credit card into the pay station and indicate the time.
- Push the print button for your receipt.
- Place the receipt face-up on the dashboard of your car.
Single-Space Smart Meters
More than 700 single-space smart parking meters are located throughout the County, accepting payment by coin (nickels, dimes, quarters and dollar coins) and credit card (Visa, MasterCard and Discover).
EasyPark is an in-vehicle electronic parking meter available to everyone who parks in Arlington. Pay-by-the minute parking allows you to pay only for the time you use. The EasyPark device automatically stops charging once meter hours end and provides concise records for business-related expenses. The EasyPark device is programmed for parking rates and meter hours in Arlington; device owners must update the device to keep the software up-to-date with current rates and meter hours. If you purchased an EasyPark device before JULY 1, 2018, your device must be updated on or after JULY 1, 2018 to be compliant with new parking rates and meter hours.
Here’s how EasyPark works at metered Arlington spaces:
- Park your car at a metered space and turn on your EasyPark
- Select the type of meter and hang your EasyPark inside your vehicle on your driver’s side window
- Place your special EasyPark placard (provided) on your dashboard
- Go on your way!
- Return to your car, turn off your EasyPark and pay only for the time you were parked
Arlington EasyPark costs $30, which includes $10 for parking time. There is $1.50 Virginia sales tax charged for each EasyPark device and shipping and handling charges apply for online orders. You can avoid shipping and handling charges by purchasing your EasyPark at the Arlington County Treasurer’s Office.
Order your EasyPark Today
Special note for current iPark users: Your old iPark device will no longer be compliant with new parking rates and meter hours. You can still use your iPark for as long as it lasts, but it will not provide coverage for the increased meter hours in effect JULY 1, 2018 and you risk being ticketed. It is therefore recommended that you purchase an EasyPark. After JULY 1, 2018 the Treasurer’s Office will no longer reload iPark devices or issue refunds for iPark balances, and can no longer adjudicate tickets for violations that occur after 6 p.m. when an iPark is in use.