- Verify your address is eligible for permit parking.
- Vehicles must be registered through the Commissioner of Revenue. The Vehicle-Specific Permit is a separate decal to be affixed on the rear bumper of your vehicle.
- Taxicabs and company cars that are registered in Arlington County and are registered to a zoned address are eligible to receive a Vehicle-Specific Permit.
Only MasterCard and Visa are accepted for online payments.
Request a Paper Application
A Landlord Permit application is available in person only.
After completing your paper application:
- Mail with payment (check, money order or credit/debit card) to P.O. Box 1754, Merrifield, VA 22116.
- Pay by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card in person at the Treasurer’s Office.
- If there are no fees involved, applications may be faxed to 703-228-7974.
Maximum Permits per Household
Each household is generally eligible for up to three Vehicle-Specific Permits. Households are defined as dwellings or units recognized by the Department of Real Estate Assessments.
- First FlexPass placard – Free
- FlexPass renewal sticker, if you already have a placard – Free
- First book of Short-Term Visitor Passes – Free; $5 for each extra book
The cost of Vehicle-Specific Permits is prorated after Dec. 31.
July 1-Dec. 31
Jan. 1-March 31
April 1-June 30
Because street space is limited, we charge a little more for those who use the program more than others. The first vehicle is free (with the FlexPass) and the third vehicle costs a little more than the second, although it still doesn’t pay for program costs. In 2012-2013, 9.5 percent of households have three Vehicle-Specific Permits.
Why do residents have to pay for zoned parking?
The program is optional, and each block of neighbors can choose whether to have permit parking or not. If you and your neighbors decide not to have permit parking, then there’s no fee to park on the street. Each individual can also choose not to participate. If you don’t participate and own a vehicle, you can park in a driveway, on a nonzoned street or in a public garage. We use fees to partly defray about half of the cost of administering and enforcing the program. Learn more about removing permit parking from your block.
Permit and Pass Replacement Policy
Residents may receive replacement permits at no charge in the following two situations:
- The permit or vehicle is stolen (a police report must be submitted).
- The vehicle is totaled and the permit cannot be recovered (documentation/proof must be submitted).
FlexPasses are non-replaceable except in instances of theft. To receive a replacement, you’ll have to fill out a police report and present the proper information to the County. For more information, call 703-228-3344.