Arlington County is implementing innovative streetlight technology with maintainable infrastructure to promote a safe and sustainable community. The Transportation Engineering and Operations Bureau is responsible for 19,000 streetlights throughout the County. We maintain 7,000 of those streetlights, with the remainder serviced by Dominion Virginia Power (DVP) or Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT).
- If the streetlight is identified as not being serviced by Arlington, we’ll report it to DVP or VDOT who will then independently investigate and repair the problem per its schedule.
- Minor repair such as bulb, fuse and head replacements typically take two to three weeks for repair if properly reported with address and pole number.
- Major repair such as conductor replacement or underground utility work may take 45 days or longer.
The County is in the process of converting all Arlington-owed streetlights to light-emitting diode (LED) technology, with approximately 85 percent of County-owned lights converted. LEDs help improve sustainability by reducing emissions and our carbon footprint. They consume 75 percent less energy and last five times longer than high-pressure sodium bulbs. These LEDs modernize our streetlight network and reduce overall maintenance and operating costs.
The County is researching the American Medical Association’s recent report that LED lights may have negative health and environmental impacts. This report, as well as industry standards and other factors will be carefully considered in making a final decision around LED streetlight temperature as part of the County’s Street Light Management Plan that will be completed in 2017. The plan will focus on researching new streetlight technology, investigating ways to enhance the appearance of our streetscapes, updating lighting standards and improving outage reporting.
New Streetlight Request
There are several reasons that warrant new streetlight installation:
- Community or safety needs
- Lack of proper lighting
- Improving existing lighting
- Replacing existing pole-mounted lights
You can make a request by calling the streetlight and traffic signal hotline at 703-228-6511. We’ll need the following information:
- Location for requested light(s)
- Phone numbers (daytime and evening)
- Reason for requesting streetlight(s)
- Notification of existing streetlights in the area
Streetlight Management Plan
Arlington County is in the process of developing a comprehensive Streetlight Management Plan (SMP). The goal of the plan is to develop guidelines and standards for the County based on the latest technology and to enhance the appearance of our streetscapes, update lighting standards and improve outage reporting. The SMP is also intended to guide County staff on the selection of future streetlight technology, optimization of maintenance, and general service delivery needs. For more information, visit the project website.