Vision Zero Background
In July 2019, the Arlington County Board resolved to adopt a Vision Zero strategy as a comprehensive and holistic approach to eliminating traffic fatalities and serious injuries in the County. As directed by the County Board, the County is embarking on the development of the Vision Zero Goals and Action Plan this fall. Working with an Internal Stakeholder Group, an External Stakeholder Group and public engagement checkpoints along the way, we plan to finalize an Action Plan for review by the County Board in fall of 2020.
For background information on Vision Zero, you may review the following materials:
- the Vision Zero page on the County’s website.
- the Vision Zero Network website
- the Vision Zero Briefing presentation given to the County Board in July by Transportation Engineering and Operations Bureau Chief Hui Wang
- the Vision Zero resolution adopted by the County Board
External Stakeholders Group
Stakeholder group members were invited in October 2019 from existing committees, commissions and community organizations identified by the internal Stakeholder Group. The mission of the group will be to support the County’s Vision Zero program through the following activities:
- Extending the importance of safety culture and commitment to the public through assisting with education and engagement programs.
- Helping guide public outreach, messaging, and strategies related to Vision Zero.
- Providing insight, feedback, and local knowledge to the County’s Vision Zero team.
- Participating in bimonthly meetings with County staff through the development of the Action Plan.
Working Group Members
Working Group Meeting Dates and Materials
Working Group meetings are open to the public but primarily structured for discussion among group members. Public participation will be considered as time allows. There will be two periods of broad public engagement on the Vision Zero Action Plan development, roughly one in the Winter of 2020 and another in the Spring of 2020.
|Meeting One||November 14, 2019||6 to 7:30 pm||Central Library, Barbara M. Donnellan Auditorium|
|Meeting Two||Jan 16, 2020*
Original date: Jan 7
Postponed due to weather
|6 to 7:30 pm||Bozman Government Center, Cherry/Dogwood Room|
|Meeting Three||March 5, 2020||6:30 to 8pm||251 18th Street South Conference Center – Crystal City|
|Vision Zero External Stakeholders Group
|Sept. 10, 2020||6:00 to 8:00pm||Under continuing COVID-19 pandemic precautions, the Vision Zero External Stakeholders Group met virtually using the Microsoft TEAMS platform. The meeting was open to the general public.|
|Nov. 10, 2020||6:30 to 8pm||Virtual|
|January 5, 2021||7:00 to 8:30pm||Virtual|
|Meeting Six||March 2, 2021||7:00 to 8:30pm||Virtual|